[OT] Stereo/sub/amp install advice needed

On 11/16/05, Scourge <scourge@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> With this setup I would recomend using that amp to power your
> components(6x9's and doors). And grab another amp to power the sub.

So the 400w amp isn't big enough for a single 12" sub?  The
recommended RMS wattage for that sub is 350, and the 400w amp I have
puts out 300 bridged.  I don't listen to music at very high volumes
(fried my ears already attending FAR too many concerts), don't really
listen to "thump, thump" music mutch, and don't really want to spend
much more on my setup...  I just want something that sounds decent...

I also picked up a matching Power Acoustik 200watt 4 channel amp today
for free from a friend (spotted it in a pile in his garage), so I'd
like to use that for the 6x9's.

Should I use the 200w amp for the 6x9's, and the head unit for the
front speakers?  (can I couple the head's 4x 50w outputs to make 2x
100w outputs wired only to the front speakers?)

> Setup, well that depends on how you do things. You've only got two pairs of
> RCA preouts. So in order to run the four channel amop for your components
> and another for the sub, youd need to split one line.

I don't have any instructions or literature for my amp (came with a
car I bought a year ago) other than the info here: (400w model)

<http://bestamp.com/electronics/car_audio/amplifiers/power_acoustik/sterling/ch4_200x_800x.htm>

I'm not quite understanding the whole 'channel' and 'bridge' thing.
If I use the 4 channel 400w amp to only drive the (single) sub, do I
have to hook both low level inputs up to the head unit? (ie: can I
jumper the inputs w/ "Y" RCA jacks?).

Might the mystery "Chn 3/4 Subwoofer" switch on the amp
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/amp_2.jpg>)  allow Channels 3 & 4 to
use the full power of the amp, without having to wire the input and
outputs of Channels 1 & 2?  (ie: only needs a single two-RCA low level
Chn 3/4 input, and only uses the Chn 3/4 output to the sub, but uses
the power that would normally be reserved for Chn 1/2 as well - giving
all 400w to Chn 3/4?)

How exactly do I hook up the amp output to the sub?   (I'm picking it
up tomorrow, but I'm assuming a single sub only has two wires going to
it, + & -).  There are 8 outputs on the amp...

<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/amp.jpg>

> If you want I can come help you set everything up one day.(you can see my
> setup too if you want any Ideas). I also have a rear deck plate with holes
> for 6x9's already cut, you can have it if you want, I don't need it. One
> step further, I don't know what you're using for the door speakers, but I
> have my old kicker 4x6's you can have a pair if you like.

Great, thanks for the help George!  I'll be sure to give you a shout
when I get back from B.C. mid December...  I could also use the deck
plate and fronts (they fit in the Mk2 doorcards?)  Thanks!

Later,

Mark - w/ the slimmest sig I've ever had...  :(  Quality, not
quantity, yeah that's it!
75
86