[OT] Stereo/sub/amp install advice needed

Replies Within.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark F." <mardak@gmail.com>
To: "Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:12 PM
Subject: [OT] Stereo/sub/amp install advice needed

Hey list, I just picked up some audio equipment for my 86, and need
some advice.  I've never been much of an audiophile, and have never
owned a sub, so I'm a little unclear on how to hook everything up
correctly.

Here's what I have:

-JVC KD-S890 (MP3) head unit
   - Power Output: 200W Max. (50W x 4)
   - Line Output Terminals (2 pairs)
   - Loudness Control
   - AFNS/PNC
   - Preamp Fader Control

- Power Acoustik CH4-400x amp
 Specs:
<http://bestamp.com/electronics/car_audio/amplifiers/power_acoustik/sterling/ch4_200x_800x.htm>

- 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 sub w/Polk Momo MM12 enclosure
Peak Power Handling: 1400W
Recommended RMS Power: 350W
Frequency Response: 18-150 Hz
Impedance: 4 ohms

- Kicker KS69 6x9" Speakers
power handling: 5-90 watts RMS (180 watts peak)
frequency response: 30-21,000 Hz
peak power handling: 180 watts
sensitivity: 92 dB

Questions:

- Is my 400w amp good enough to power the sub?    -Theoretically, yes.
- Is the head unit powerful enough to drive the 6x9's and a pair of
door speakers?     -Yes, but a four channel amp, unless abosolute crap will
be better.
  - Recommend a second amp for these?     -I'm partial to alpine for amps,
but I use a sony right now that I got cheap. You'll be looking in the
$300-$400 range on the low end for a new amp to power that monster.
- Wiring:   Here's two pics of either end of the amp.  What goes where?

  <http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/amp.jpg>
  - What's the REM + hookup?            -REM is your remote line from the
head unit. Low current, just tells the amp to turn on.
  - How would I hook up the sub?  -RCA's from the deck to the amp. Pos. and
Neg. output to the sub, lol.

  <http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/amp_2.jpg>
  - Switches go to Mono, correct?      -I think so.
  - On/Off Ch 3/4 Subwoofer switch to ON, correct? -Adressed later
  - Line output (RCA) from head unit to Ch 3/4 low input (Ch 1/2
pty)?   -Meh, depends on other things too.

- Preamp fader control on the head unit will control sub volume?   -Yes
  - Should I turn up the level on the sub to Max and control it via
this preamp fader?    -Gain to max is never good. I set each car up
differently, never know till you start listening.
- What the heck does  AFNS/PNC stand for (head unit specs)  -No clue
- Anything else I need (crossover (sub specs say one included), inline
fuses, etc)?

Thanks!

Mark.
75
86

With this setup I would recomend using that amp to power your
components(6x9's and doors). And grab another amp to power the sub.
Setup, well that depends on how you do things. You've only got two pairs of
RCA preouts. So in order to run the four channel amop for your components
and another for the sub, youd need to split one line. That can be
accomplished in different ways. Simply using a splitter will work but each
pair coming out of it will then have less voltage so less power. Now you can
get what they call a line driver. It amplifies the signal so when you split
it, you can send adequate voltage to both sources. The last option I know of
is to get and amp for the sub with a through line(my sony has it). With that
you can have the RCA go into it, and then it has and RCA output to feed into
another amp but with no voltage drop.

If you want I can come help you set everything up one day.(you can see my
setup too if you want any Ideas). I also have a rear deck plate with holes
for 6x9's already cut, you can have it if you want, I don't need it. One
step further, I don't know what you're using for the door speakers, but I
have my old kicker 4x6's you can have a pair if you like.

Let me know if you need anything.
-George