Damn ignition timing (+ ETKA help)

Finished the headgasket r/r and all that.  Have
everything hooked up.  Have double-checked the timing
belt TWICE.  Rotor is set to #1 position notch, wires
set in firing order 1-3-4-2, cylinders left to right
are #1-4 (facing engine).  What the **** am I missing
here?

The starter turns the engine over flawlessly.  Fuel
pressure is fine (cold start faithfully leaking on
first attempt and then I retightened it).  Nice smell
of HC now.

Regardless of where I position the distributor - on
the mark, retarded, or advanced, I get the same
no-fire result.  Checked spark on #1 & #2 and it was
fine.  Not brilliant, but fine.

Now this thing has never had a problem turning over
and starting before.  Have I screwed something up in
my ignition timing with the distributor?  All hoses
and plugs are properly connected.  Gad, did I check
that over forever.

There is one more thing and is pisses me off like a
MF.  I installed a new negative battery cable from
Adirondack.  It pissed me off because the center
attachment section (which was clamped onto the cable)
was improperly placed and had to be moved further down
the cable.  Meaning an uglyass opening up of the clamp
and then reclosing with pliers.  Never as nice as with
the proper clamp tool.  Basically, it is as if they
installed the ends backwards.  I will have to call and
air that one out.  Nor is the cable itself as thick as
the original cable.

Anyhow, since I don't have the very end of the cable
attached to the tranny (just the center section to the
frame under the airbox), I am curious.  Here's the
thing - the same setup was what I was running before
with no problem ever (cable not attached to tranny;
only to bodywork).

I fear I'll have to get that holddown bolt for the
tranny mount to get the end of the cable secured to
the tranny before I can rule that bitch out.  That
means, I need the ETKA stats (measurements) on that
bolt.  Part number is nice, but I'd like to just pick
this up at a hardware store for simplicity.  This is
the bolt that screws straight DOWN onto the tranny
mount towards the rear of the mount ('87 Scirocco 8v).
 What a pisser.

If anyone sees anything wrong in how I have timed
this, please speak up.  But I fail to see any problems
by the book.

-RP
'87 stock 8v beater = "The Faithful One"
'84.5 2L 8v + 2H = "Baby Fatass"

"..slave to the disease..."

http://farechase.yahoo.com