How did you get your first....

I was a sophomore, she a junior and ... wait.....

In the late 70's as I was approaching high school, my
father had a work friend at NSA who, like him, was
seriously into cool cars.  European cars, that is.
Mike would buy cool stuff from England when he was
there on TDY and stuff.

Anyhow, one day he comes over with this, IIRC,
beautiful red 1979 or 1980 Scirocco.  It sits there in
the driveway and I sit there mezmerized.  Mind you, we
had a 1967 convertible Stingray (w/ 427!) in our
garage as well as a Sprite and MGB.  And my father had
formerly owned another 'vette, an awesome Austin
Healey (black & white) and a ton of other cool cars.
But this Scirocco, for whatever reason, maybe because
it was new, just called my name.

Too young to drive for a few years, it stuck in my
mind.  I went through the usual assortment of beaters
as a kid and then out of high school.  First car I
owned (bought by Dad) was a 1978 Cougar.  Don't ask
why - I think I liked the pimp look.

So when I reach 21, the Cougar is gassing and I have
some money available as my grandmother had left my
sister and I about $20K each after her death in a
trust.  Hmmmm.  So I am thinking about what car I
*really* want, having botched it with a Cougar and
knowing this time through it is MY money going out.

Visiting my mother one evening (divorced), the sun was
going down in Silver Spring, MD on a fall day.  I am
in the parking lot of her condo complex and I look up
the hill after parking and there is a green MGB that
looks really nice.  And parked behind it (for saving
parking space) is a Mars Red 1985 Scirocco with a 'FOR
SALE' sign on it.  I look and think, "that car seems
familiar".  I go up and get the number and after a
test drive, my ass is now slave to the disease.

And I live happily ever after.

There's a f'n book for ya, Chris.

-RoccoPhil