[mk2; 8v] fuel pump issues?

   i have problems with cold start in my '85. it'll sit there and turn
over for a few seconds then finally catch. sometimes it'll be
immediately fine but other it's as if the car wants to stall if i even
slightly touch the gas. i've turned the key repeatedly to pressurize the
system but still have the same thing.
   the other issue that i have is occasionally as i drive down the road,
the car will sort of die and then catch, much like a hard shift. while
not as frequent as the cold start issue, it's more of a concern if i'm
away from a phone or civilization.
   i know the car had a blown valve cover gasket and did suck oil into
the air box. the filter was replaced after i bought the car. the fuel
filter may have a little sediment in it as i haven't had a chance to
cheage it yet. does this sound like my fuel pump might be dying or might
this be something (hopefully) cheaper? thanx.

--
  /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
< o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com