who is NOT going to Cincy?

On 7:07:21 pm 05/16/05 Marko <marquez337@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I probably should've mentioned that I am in nyc. The
> rocco has a really harsh ride, the g/f hates it. Just
> going around town is hard on the lower back, and the
> love handles don't help either. The 84 Jetta feels
> like a cadilac in comparison, it has a nice susension.
> I don't wanna jeapordize my driving record getting
> speeding tickets in some rural area for trying to push
> it and get here faster. Doing a convoy with fellow
> East coast listers is would be fun, but thats a really
> long drive. Of course there are other considerations
> too. There is the money and the family obligations and
> having to take care of things, yadda yadda. Besides I
> don't really participate in the discussions here, and
> would feel akward meeting you all. I imagine this
> being a tight group and I have never been a "good
> lister." Most of these discussions are too technical
> for me anyhoo and my last question here netted me one
> reply. Have fun in Cincy though, don't drink too much.
> I look forward to seeing the pics of all the roccos
> lined up in the Ohio grass.
>
> Marko

Well, this is exactly why you should come to Cincy! When I got the 16V,
"How do I remove the battery" was too technical for me, (yeah, I'm serious)
and there's still a lot for me to learn, but I AM learning, and going to
Cincy was helpful in that regard, everyone was very nice, and willing to
show me stuff. There's no replacement for (well, displacement) but for
hands on, one on one instruction for fixing things. And there is a ton of
that stuff happening at Cincy. (Let's face it, our cars break...)

Three years ago, (or four??) I was worried that nobody would talk to me
(they did), that my car would break down (it did, but a lister fixed it in
a mall parking lot on the way) and that my car wouldn't be good enough to
fit in (it was, any Scirocco is).

So drive that Jetta down if you don't want to make the trip in the Rocc,
and meet everyone. It's a long way to go in an old car, it is for me too,
but I do that distance a few times a year now. It's about 7-8 hours for me.
This gathering has always been about the people, and that's what makes it
unique as far as I'm concerned. I for one will walk over to you and
introduce myself.

So for the fence sitters, drag that beat up old car down to Ohio, it's
worth it. You'll be glad you did.

cathy