Re: Coilovers

I can see your point, Neal, but in my case the springs are so stiff that it takes the first two Tokico settings out of play (bounces like a motherfucker - the PO built it more for Auto-X). I have to keep it at setting 3 just to keep from scrambling my brain! (which, BTW, I don't mind when I'm beating on it, just not getting from Point A to Point B). It takes some getting used to after hopping into it after driving the M5 daily...but we have a local Mtn flog scheduled for this Sunday so I'll be beatin it pretty good! :p

JT

My current driver '81 has Carrera coilovers on Tokico Illuminas and I'd
say they're just _ok_(I can't quite grasp why the PO used adjustable
shocks w/ single-rate springs - the setup is really only effective on one
shock  setting...  :-/ )

Actually, there are a lot of reasons to change shock valving without
needing to change spring rates. It allows you to fine-tune the suspension
for current conditions or personal ride quality preferences. If you make
significant changes to spring rates, the amount of adjustment available on
most adjustable shocks won't do you much good anyway...you'd need to have
them re-valved (as I have with my rear Konis and 600lb springs).

The Mustang guys I know love Tokikos, but I haven't met a VW driver yet who
had a good experience with them.

Neal