From: "GGehrke" <ggehrke@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: After 30 hours with my new Mk1 - Road Trip Story
Sent: 17 Mar 2005 18:59:44

 This is a short novel, so hang with me, i'm literally dividing it up
 for ease of reading.
Chapter 1 - Vegas problems So I got in tuesday night after a 2500 mile road trip with my new 1980
 Scirocco.  I had been looking for several months for another Mk1
 Scirocco after finding that my previous one (a 79) was rusted to the
 point of being virtually worthless.  Still don't know what I'm going
 to do with that one, exactly.  Found one that I liked but it was in
 Las Vegas.  I'm from Louisville but go to school in Maryland, so Vegas
 is too far.  I asked the owner a lot of questions and got a lot of
 pictures, though, and really liked the car.  It had an overheating
 problem, so I decided that if I could get the problem fixed it would
 be worth the trouble to go all the way out there for the car.  It
 sounded to me like a pressure issue, so I got him a new radiator cap
 and bingo, he said that fixed the problem, that he drove it to work
 and no overheating.  So I fly out to Vegas and pick up the car.  It's
 perfect.  Some minor surface rust, but nothing bad at all.  Runs
 nicely and has overall been well maintained.  Rough body, but that's
 okay.  There had been a blowout on the old dry rotted tires, so it had
 a borrowed wheel on it, but I had ordered a new set of Borbets with
 Kumho tires sent directly to his house, so I was good to go for the
 road trip.  The seller was at work so I dealt with his dad and was
 going to come back in the evening to pay for the car.  Leave to go
 pick my friend up from the airport and check into our hotel.  I hadn't
 gone 5 miles when the temp needle was at the top of the gauge.  I took
 it to a mechanic who diagnosed the problem as a badly clogged
 radiator.  Crap.  I was a bit upset with the owner for not telling me
 that it was still overheating, so I had him call some people and find
 a new radiator.  I was ready to walk away from the car, but otherwise
 it was so perfect for me, so I figured this was worth a shot.  Spent
 the night seeing Vegas, which I had never seen before.  It was pretty
 cool.  Everything there is so huge, it's just stunning.  We just
 walked around and didnt really do anything, but it was fun.  Next
 morning I go over to his house - he's working again - and swap the
 radiator out.  Flushed the system and put water wetter in with the new
 coolant.  Took it out for a drive and it was perfect.  Put the new
 wheels on, paid the owner (we split the cost of the repairs), and took
 off.  We were about half a day behind schedule, but just decided to
 start driving and figure things out from there.
Chapter 2 - driving So we get on the road coming from vegas and heading toward arizona.
 If the car was going to overheat, now was the time, but it ran
 perfectly.  We crossed the Hoover Dam and passed a lot of really cool
 scenery.  If you've never been out to the desert, its stunning how
 expansive and empty it is.  I had originally planned to make it to
 Texas in the first day and camp out, but with the delay that was
 impossible.  We decdided, though, to keep pushing on into the night as
 long as we could.  Somewhere not far from the New Mexico border, the
 sun set and we started getting giant thunderclouds forming.  It was
 the classic desert thunderstorm.  The sky would light up for an
 instant when there was lighting and you'd see the whole landscape
 illuminated and then it'd disappear (have I mentioned yet that the
 lights on this car have been replaced, but SUCK?).  After a while we
 drove into the rain, and that's when it got really bad.  I couldn't
 see anything and had to follow other cars close to see the road and
 use the high beams whenever we could.  Finally around 1am we pulled
 off somewhere in new mexico.  Stopped at a gas station to use the
 bathroom, came back out and the car wouldn't start.  It was POURING
 rain and I didnt want to diagnose the problem, so we just locked the
 doors and slept there in the freezing cold for about 3 hours.
 By about 4am the rain had stopped and we were freezing, so we decided
 to keep rocking.  Tapped the starter with a wrench and it fired right
 up.  That problem has been recurring since then, but isn't too bad.
 Drove on till sunrise and noticed there was a bit of snow on the
 ground.  odd.  Stopped at Denny's for breakfast around 6 and kept
 going.  Then it started snowing.  Within a few minutes, we were in a
 complete white out blizzard.  No light, zero visibility, and the car's
 lousy lights and mono wiper weren't helping things.  We pull off for a
 bit but decide to try following a semi and keep moving, so we tailed
 some semi at 45 for the next few hours.  Got some gas and asked the
 people at the station where the storm came from (weather.com had said
 clear skies and sunny for the whole trip) and it turned out to
 literally be a freak storm.  Got back on the road and within a few
 miles hit dead stopped traffic.  We sat still for 2-3 hours (though
 the snow had stopped by now).  Even after that the roads were terrible
 and slow from the packed slush.  When it finally did clear we were
 able to rock across new mexico and texas without too much trouble.  We
 thought about stopping somewhere to camp for the night (I brought a
 tent and sleeping bags) but decided we didn't want to get shot
 somewhere in bumblef*ck texas so we kept going.  I was going to try to
 make our second night's planned stop in Arkansas, but we stopped at a
 hotel at the Oklahoma/Arkansas border instead.  Woke up the next
 morning and blasted home.  Ran into a bit of traffic and a lot of
 cops, but not too eventful.  Glad I had a radar detector.  70-75mph
 limits are pretty nice, too.
Chapter 3 - back home
 Not too much to say here.  Washed it yesterday and took some pictures.
 Working on cleaning it up as nicely as I can, then I'm going to start
 sanding the surface rust spots and hitting them with some new paint
 just to hold it over until I can get the whole car repainted (Need to
 figure out what to do about the elusive Mk1 window seals first,
 though).  I thought about cutting the springs, but decided it's fine
 how it is [again] until I can do it right.  It does have MAD wheelgap,
 which looks pretty goofy with the new wheels, but the whole car looks
 pretty goofy, so what can I say.  It has several little problems now
 (bad headliner, cracked lenses, bad lights, cracked dash, some surface
 rust, bad window and door seals, cracked clock face, odometer not
 working properly, needs body work and repaint) but also has a lot of
 really nice features (good seats and carpet, mechanically very sound,
 low mileage engine (installed factory new engine in 1986, car has
 50-60K since then), now good wheels and tires, GTI badge/Scirocco
 mudflaps/now good wheels and tires/retro window louvres and duckbill).
 Just got done registering it and got historic plates.  What a deal!
 I only have to pay once and never have to renew it or get new
 stickers.  Just pay usage tax each december (like 2 dollars) and keep
 rockin.  I only drive the car at the very most once per week anyways.
 I'm on my own insurance and stuff now too though, which kinda stinks.
 Lots of plan for the car, but I love it as it is now.  I can just
 throw that thing around and it holds beautifully in the corners, picks
 up really well, and can leave a long streak of rubber on demand.  It's
 pretty loud, probably a leak in the muffler and/or exhaust manifold,
 plus a lack of good insulation.
This weekend I drive it another 10 hours back to MD to meet its older brother. So that's my story and I'm stickin to it! Without further ado, pictures: http://www.xgtgx.com/RoadTrip
 http://www.xgtgx.com/NewMk1
-Grant-