Re: Coilovers

hey dan...one of the most important things for you to do is compare the
height specs on all the various coilovers, as they all give different
lowering ranges...for example, the only coilovers I ever owned (and will
never buy again) were FK highsports (their non-dampening adjustable
ones)...they will lower a mk1 between 60 and 90mm!!!!!...these use a sachs
insert and while they lower the car something fierce, the lack of
dampening adjustment is crap, and they valve the rears too soft so it
bounces around a bit: Honda bounce :(
The konigsport models which are externally dampening adjustable and using
koni inserts are defnintely the only FK model worth looking at (the
silverline version, stainless model is nice too.
Still, I could drop my 75 rabbit on the highsports to the point of
axle-chassis rubbing and still had tonnes more to go...to avoid rubbing on
the inside of rim I recommend getting something with at least a ET 28
offset...I had ET20 15X7 Zenders and never had issues of the rim rubbing
on the coilovers.
I've heard good things about the Weitec Hi-Con TX (they were called XS in
the US)...they're reasonabley priced and offer both dampening and height
adjustment...and most people I know don't feel the need to run em that
stiff (they run the softest setting on the street)...this leaves you room
to set em stiff for the track.
I think potterman had a deal going on these at one point...like $800 or
something.
I'm currently trying to find a set of these babies used for my mk1 jetta
1.8T...the Bilstein Sport inserts and H&R sport springs I have now, while
a nice ride, just don't put the tires where I want em and I like to change
my rims around all the time.
cheers

sandor
81 S
83 Jetta 1.8T

Anybody on the list have any experience with coilovers?
Comments?
Recommendations?

Would like to lower my car a reasonable amount without it living on the
bumpstops and H & R springs  just aren't cutting it.

TIA
Dan