Re: Coilovers

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:11:07 -0800 (PST), nocones77-vw@yahoo.com
<nocones77-vw@yahoo.com> wrote:
Don, why would wheel size have anything to do with ride quality? Spring rate
and shock valving aren't related to wheel size. Or do you have to run stiffer
springs to keep the tires from rubbing?

[Don Walter] - I had to dial the coils tighter as to keep the car from
dropping and hitting the tires.  I don't reccomend this as the perfect
solution as I should have stayed with smaller diameter wheels or lower
profile tires.  The other alternative is to flare the fenders.

Dan, if maintaining travel with lowered suspension is the primary issue, one
option to consider is running A2 struts in modified A1 housings. The A2 struts
are shorter, so they maintain full travel in lowered A1s. With this setup, your
driveshaft will hit the inner fender before the strut bottoms out. This is also
pretty much the only way you can run double-adjustable Konis on the front of an
A1, if you want the "ultimate" setup.

You can buy this setup from Solo Specialties (owned by Geoff Zimmer, and where
I got mine), or you can get them from BSI racing. They're fairly expensive for
the full kit with Konis and springs ($1400-ish), but knowing your skills, you
might be able to do it yourself and use Bilstein or whatever A2 front strut
inserts you like.

If you pick a sane spring rate, ride quality can be quite good. I don't
know...maybe try 350 front, 250 rear? I run 400 front and 600 rear with a
rather wacky swaybar setup, so I'm not the best one to give advice for comfort.
:)

The main issue is that most coilovers use constant-rate springs. If you can
find some progressive springs (I don't know where to get 'em, but maybe someone
makes some...?) you might be able to resolve the issue you talked about where
small bumps upset the chassis more than you like. Going with the
double-adjustable Konis would give you compression adjustment on the front,
which also makes a BIG difference in that department.

[Don Walter] - The H&R Coilovers use two sets of springs to accomplish
the progressive rate.  One larger one and a smaller on, they are
stacked on each other.

Neal
'77 Scirocco
SCCA Solo-II Street Modified