Re: Re: Coilovers

From: <nocones77-vw@yahoo.com>
Date: 2005/03/08 Tue AM 11:11:07 EST
To: Don Walter <dswalterwi@gmail.com>,  Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>
CC: Scirocco List <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: Re: Coilovers

Don, why would wheel size have anything to do with ride quality? Spring rate
and shock valving aren't related to wheel size. Or do you have to run stiffer
springs to keep the tires from rubbing?

Dan, if maintaining travel with lowered suspension is the primary issue, one
option to consider is running A2 struts in modified A1 housings. The A2 struts
are shorter, so they maintain full travel in lowered A1s. With this setup, your
driveshaft will hit the inner fender before the strut bottoms out. This is also
pretty much the only way you can run double-adjustable Konis on the front of an
A1, if you want the "ultimate" setup.

There is another benefit to using the A2 struts.  The arm that extends from the strut itself sits in a higher position, and is therefore better suited to help with the oversteer normally encountered with lowered vehicles.  I plan to do this myself, but have not looked at what all I need to do to make it work...  Wacky Wabbit Racer is the fella on Vortex that turned me onto this...

The main issue is that most coilovers use constant-rate springs. If you can
find some progressive springs (I don't know where to get 'em, but maybe someone
makes some...?) you might be able to resolve the issue you talked about where
small bumps upset the chassis more than you like. Going with the
double-adjustable Konis would give you compression adjustment on the front,
which also makes a BIG difference in that department.

Neal
'77 Scirocco
SCCA Solo-II Street Modified

I have progressive rate springs with my Konis and love them.  I would also love to find someone that makes them so that I could put them on the coilovers I plan to have...  As of yet, I cannot find anyone that does progressives...

David

PS--  Neal, I saw some links on your car.  YOU bastard!  :-)  I am very envious, that is one sweet ride...

'83 GTI, Daily Driver...
'87 16V, parts car
'82 pickup, 2.0 16V, collecting dust...