ANother alternator question

> From: "C Boyko" <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca>
> Date: 2005/07/23 Sat AM 10:30:40 EDT
> To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> Subject: ANother alternator question
>
> Well, since I can't get this alternator off, and it had a really awful
> looking wire into it, I decided to just try replacing the wire before
> getting soemone else to look at it. So I went to undo the nut holding the
> "big wire" to the alternator (the one that goes to the starter), and the
> whole stud spun. So what's the nature of the connection on the other end of
> that stud? I don't need to try it out and have a fire eh?

Cathy,
  Unfortunately I have had nothing but bad news for you as of late.  Perhaps that is all you have been up to as well...  :-(

Okay, if that big stud turned, it is possible that the main power out has been damaged.  If it did not turn say, more than a 1/4 turn, you should be okay.  If more than that, I think it is likely there is damage.  It is not a very hard fix, but disassembly will be necessary.   BTDT, dint like it...

The 1/4 turn is a guess of course.  Your luck may vary depending on the VW Gods' mood ATM...

May your luck be better than mine...

Cheers,
  David  AKA far-flung-nuggets

'83 GTI, Daily Driver...