ANother alternator question

On 10:28:57 am 07/25/05 David Utley <fahrvegnugen@cox.net> wrote:

> >  From: "C Boyko" <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca>
> >  Date: 2005/07/23 Sat AM 10:30:40 EDT
> >  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> >  Subject: ANother alternator question
> >
> >  Well, since I can't get this alternator off, and it had a really
> >  awful looking wire into it, I decided to just try replacing the
> >  wire before getting soemone else to look at it. So I went to undo
> >  the nut holding the "big wire" to the alternator (the one that
> >  goes to the starter), and the whole stud spun. So what's the
> >  nature of the connection on the other end of that stud? I don't
> need to try it out and have a fire eh?
>
> Cathy,
>   Unfortunately I have had nothing but bad news for you as of late.
> Perhaps that is all you have been up to as well...  :-(
> Okay, if that big stud turned, it is possible that the main power out
> has been damaged.  If it did not turn say, more than a 1/4 turn, you
> should be okay.  If more than that, I think it is likely there is
> damage.  It is not a very hard fix, but disassembly will be necessary.
> BTDT, dint like it...
> The 1/4 turn is a guess of course.  Your luck may vary depending on
> the VW Gods' mood ATM...
> May your luck be better than mine...

Pfft, right. "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"...yeah,
no break for me, and I can't get the thing off. I'm sure it's toast, it
took me a while to register that the stud was turning with the nut, as the
wire had rotted off at the connector, so wasn't there as a "rotation
indicator".
Ah well. It's only demoralizing and expensive. ;)

Cathy