repairing rust and painting under window seals

On 7/13/05, GGehrke <ggehrke@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I have some rust issues around my window seals that I want to fix
> up.  I'm thinking of trying to grind it off with a stripping pad as
> close as I can and then getting in closer with sandpaper.  Then maybe
> use a paintbrush and a good primer and paint to get in the crack as
> deep as I can.

If you can't cut/grind out ALL the rust, it'll just creep back in the
future.  You could try applying a "rust converter" type product.  I'm
using Picklex20 <www.picklex20.com> on my 75 project, and would
recommend it for a situation like yours.  It's applied by brush or in
a spray (windex type) bottle, so you should be able to treat any rust
you find - even if you can't get a grinder/sandpaper in there...

> I tried sanding off the surface rust there before and
> hitting it with spraypaint, but it seems that didn't stop it.

Unless rust is *completely* removed or "treated", it'll just keep spreading...

> anyone have any other ideas?  Removing the windows and seals isn't an
> option because the gaskets are severely cooked.

You can get the stock (aftermarket) front Mk1 seal from Randy Nickel
(RLN on VWVortex) for $69 - or if you prefer the Cal-look (trimless)
he sells both the front and rear gasket for $100 ea...

HTH,

Mark
75
80 S