Re: Stake your axle nuts!

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:21:18 -0500, Peter <peter@thescirocco.com> wrote:
Did the hubs slide in easily, when you installed them?
The hub is an intereference-fit, and shouldn't just slide into place.

The only time, I've had the axle nut work loose, was from the hub being worn
out, from the bad bearing, that I replaced, on a 16V Scirocco.

The hub/bearing was fine - it came from my totally stripped 81 S
(which just went to the junkyard yesterday), and had less than 5000 km
on it.  There was no play in the bearing either.  As soon as I get
over this flu I'll rip into it and see if I can figure out what
happened...  I've never had an axle nut loosen on me before though, so
I'm curious as to what happened...  Anyone else have this happen to
them?

Later,

Mark.
75