Re: Stake your axle nuts!

er, what does it mean to "stake" the axle nuts? Key pin or what ever
its called?

Parker

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:33:01 -0500, Mark F. <mk1mark@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 07:50:38 -0800, Larry Fry <rocco16@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> It's nearly impossible to remove the hubs without damaging the bearings.
> (providing the hubs are in good shape..they are a press-fit into the bearing
> races)
> My guess is that you did properly torque the nuts, but that the damaged
> bearings were the cause of  Sean's problems.
>
> A good rule of thumb is to replace the bearings and the hubs at the same
> time.

We swapped over the whole hub/bearing/steering knuckle assembly, so
that wasn't the problem...  We had a better look at it last night, and
the hub actually snapped!  I think the nut had worked it's way loose,
and while turning a corner the hub snapped...  (He was turning onto a
highway, so he's actually pretty lucky it didn't go at speed...)

I'm going to stake the axle nuts from now on, just in case...  I
believe I used to do this as a habit years ago, but got lazy
recently...  Lesson learned...

Mark.
75
80 S