Re: Stake your axle nuts!

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:06:22 -0600, Parker Wulf <badvdub@gmail.com> wrote:
er, what does it mean to "stake" the axle nuts? Key pin or what ever
its called?

Use a hammer and chisel (w/ a fairly blunt end)  to "dent" the egged
nut on the semi-flat spot ...  This works better on a "D" type shaft,
but I'm guessing it'll help somewhat to keep the nut from backing
out...  I suppose if you're really paranoid you could marr the threads
of the halfshaft with a chisel after the nut is torqued to keep it
from loosening as well (the threads *should* repair when you back the
nut off with a wrench next time you loosen it, but maybe not... :D)

Mark.
75
80 S
81 Caddy - Sold