Re: Fuel screen question

From: "C Boyko" <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca>
Date: 2005/01/02 Sun PM 09:15:26 EST
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Fuel screen question

Since I ran my tank nearly dry a while back, and have had some issues I'm
trying to track down, I decided to look at the screen in the fuel tank.
Well, this is the 1979 / 8V (ie. no transfer pump), and pulling the
inspection hatch reveals a dark, block shaped object in the tank, and
nothing that looks especially filter/screen like. So, am I wrong to think
there's a screen in there somewhere? And if so, where? (I wasn't going to
stick my hand in there to probe around, as the tank's full and I'd
displace too much fuel) Bentley isn't very helpful. On the plus side,
there was a bit of fine crud in the screen on the CPR, so it was good that
I got that outa there. The tank itself looks really clean and crud free,
which was good to see at least. And the hatch came off easily, unlike that
on the younger sister.

Cathy, eternally searching for perfection...
1999 TDI New Beetle
1987 2L 16V Scirocco
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V
"Deja moo- the feeling you've heard this bull before"

In the center of the plastic baffle in the tank, there is indeed a round screen, no more than 3 inches OD (IIRC).  I fashioned a puller from a coat hangar.  You will have to pull hard to get it out, but it will come.  I think there was a ring that was attatched to the top of it, that is what I hooked onto.

All this is from memory.  Hopefully it is as simple as I remember (I just turned 35, as I get older -everything- gets easier)...

David

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself. --Ralph Waldo Emerson