Re: Re: Stake your axle nuts!

From: "Larry Fry" <rocco16@sbcglobal.net>
Date: 2005/01/02 Sun PM 09:34:51 EST
To: "Mark F." <mk1mark@gmail.com>, "Parker Wulf" <badvdub@gmail.com>
CC: list <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: Re: Stake your axle nuts!

> > er, what does it mean to "stake" the axle nuts?

> > Use a hammer and chisel (w/ a fairly blunt end) to "dent" the egged > nut on the semi-flat spot ...

Yes.  and do this before they are installed.

>you could marr the threads
> of the halfshaft with a chisel after the nut is torqued to keep it
> from loosening as well
What??   This is not something I would advise.

Larry
sandiego16v

I agree, modifiying a fastener is foolhardy.  You could not know how much is too much.  If you absolutely insist to do this, do it with 'new' OE nuts...

 I thought we were initially talking about stub axle nuts (rear), not the fronts...  I must say I have never had any trouble with the fronts either, and I believe I know why.  Don told me years ago that when you do the front nuts up, do it with the impact, and do it until it does not move any more.  IIRC, his impact goes up to nearly 300 ft/lb.  It would take a lot of work and/or a long breaker bar to duplicate that pressure!

Sorry for the confusion on my part...

David

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself. --Ralph Waldo Emerson