Re: VIN on Rain tray or NOT?

VW began listing the numbers on the raintray in 1981. Before that they were stamped on the passenger side strut tower.

G/L getting the Po-Po's to believe that though...

HTH, JT

From: Cory Langford <corylang@dccnet.com>
Date: 2005/01/06 Thu PM 02:57:37 EST
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: VIN on Rain tray or NOT?

I have a slight issue I am trying to clear up.  In order to get all the
plumbing, etc into the '86 roc I have been thinking about cutting out a
portion of the rain tray.

I have come across a few people here that have told me not to because I
will get a whole lot of hassle from the local police and insurance
companies.  It seems it is illegal to modify any part of the car that has
a VIN present on it.  This makes some sense to me, BUT does the rain tray
actually carry a VIN?

I know on the older 77 (I think it was) the rain tray was completely bare.
No identifying numbers at all.  On all the other rocs I have had there are
definitely numbers in the rain tray, but I can't see them being an actual
VIN because there are some missing.  It seems like they put some kind of
chassis id there that is part of the vin, but the entire vin is not on the
rain tray.

So I need to find out if the id markings on the rain tray are considered a
VIN or not, and where to go to find this info out definitively.

Any help?

TIA

Cory Langford
'78 G60 MK1 - The Newest Project (and current Daily Driver)
'86 turbo project - The Next daily driver?
'65 Ghia - The next project in the garage
'79 Cheap Ass turbo daily driver - RIP

I can't imagine how drilling a hole will make any inspector suspicious that
the whole panel has been replaced, especially if it matches the one in the
door, and the one on the dash.  Yes, indeed, there is a number there, at
least there is on my '87 16V, so I would assume that all of them do.  Come
to think of it, ex-wife's Cabriolet had it to. And the Passat I parted. Perhaps this is something that is common on all German made VWs?

Just a thought,
  David

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself. --Ralph Waldo Emerson