RE: That Scirocco feeling wuz Julie's

If you're looking for a Scirocco as an investment, forget it no mater how
much you put into a Scirocco you're not going to make it back. I have spent
over $3k on my "Project" and if I am lucky I might get $600 or $700 out of
it if/when I sell it, but then I didn't buy it as an investment, so I have
no qualms about letting it go for that amount. When "The Project"'s time
comes, I will have more of than enough "fun factor" added in to make up the
difference in money spent.

Yes it's true, the Scirocco will never become a classic, it'll probably
never become a true enthusiast car either, just a car with a small but
adamant cult following of diehards that want to drive something different
than the mass population. However since the fact it'll never become a
classic, we will always have the artistic freedom to make the car look, feel
and drive the way we want. People who are into classic car restoration must
make the car as close to the factory's specs as possible in order to get
maximum value from the car. We on the other hand can change engine, drive
train, paint scheme, headlights, what ever we want, we have a blank canvass.
A '64 Mustang or any car considered a classic will only be that. Not that
that's bad, just not what the typical Scirocco enthusiast is looking for. As
far as being cheap, there is nothing cheap about trying to keep a Scirocco
on the road, especially as a daily driver. If I were a real cheap ass I'd
buy a Hyundai. Parts for Scirocco's are scarce and what you can get are
expensive, have you looked at window seals and scrapers? Jeese, over $100
for scrapers? I'll bet the Mustangs are about $50. On a side note, I used a
Rabbit windshield seal with no groove that I got for $70 and it works fine.
If you are doing a restore, get a Scirocco one, but for us "Cheep asses" out
there the rabbit one will work and save you $40.

The other thing the Scirocco has going for it is soul, maybe because it's a
blank canvass, or maybe it's something else. I've driven a lot of cars and I
just seem to enjoy driving a Scirocco. Mind you if I get a job where I'll
need to commute in my own car again my first choice will not be a Scirocco.
I'll get something a little more comfortable for my 43yo bones and leave the
Scirocco as my play car. In my opinion, somewhere in the mid 90's most if
not all cars lost their soul and became machines. I haven't been able to put
my finger on what constitutes "soul" in a car but everything I've driven
since my Corrado has been lacking what ever it is.

So would I give up my Scirocco for something else? Yes, but there is a short
list of cars that would be its replacement, in no particular order.

Porsche 944S

Alpha Romeo GTV6

Saab 900 EMS

Mid to late 70's Porsche 911

Corrado SLC

But, I haven't finished with "The Project" yet so we'll see what happens.
This is my 3rd S1 and my 4th Scirocco and I'm enjoying this one the most
because I don't have to rely on it as a daily driver and I can now do all
the customizing I couldn't do when I was younger.

As for what to tell your friends when they dis your passion? Ask them what
they get passionate about, clothes? Dolls? Food? Yea it's just like that but
with a car. My girlfriend doesn't understand it either, so what.

No flames, just putting my $.02 in the pot.

Tom C

www.spuduglyracing.com