electrical gremlins, water leaks (mk 1), seat swaps

On 3:27:19 pm 12/24/05 "Eric S" <scirocco@vintagewatercooleds.com> wrote:

> The radio antenna wire can be another leak source, check the grommet
> where it comes inside the car.
>
> Secondly, throw away that Haynes and buy a proper repair manual
> (bentley).
> --
> Eric
> www.vintagewatercooleds.com
>
> 1979 Dasher Coupe 2.0 8v
> 1981 Scirocco S (TDI swap project)
> 1990 Corrado TDI
> 1990 Fox Wagon (1.6 Heron head project)
> 1991 Cabriolet (2.0 crossflow 8v project)

I'd suggest pouring/hosing water over the likely problem spots, and getting
a helper to feel up under the dash to see what causes the water leak. Also,
mine has a factory hunk of foam stuffed up in the corner of the rain tray.
In my car it was really wet, so I heaved it. Most of my leakage was from
around the windshield seal.
AS for the headlights, I'd locate the grounds for them and start by
cleaning them up. And if it were me, I'd rewire the lot of them, with some
fresh wire and relays. But that's me.
cathy
1979 8V/ 1987 16V