4k tranny?

I want to shed a little light on Scirocco trannies due to some
comments that have been made in the various threads pertaining to
this.
First off the fact that your current tranny came out of Jetta doesn't
in any way invalidate it's use in a Scirocco. There is nothing Jetta
(or Scirocco) specific about any 020 tranny.
It may not have the same gear ratios as a Scirocco original, but they
are fundamentally the same box.
Some of us rejoice in the availability of all sorts of gear ratios for
these trannies since it lets us set up one box for use with a no-guts
1.7L 8V and another box for an RPM hungry 16V and yet another for a
torque monster turbo engine.
As far as shift quality, there is no difference between the various
020 code trannies as far as the internal shift linkage. If you want
shift quality with an 020 make sure your shift bushings and linkages
are in new condition. If that doesn't cut it, get a linkage kit from
Scott Rose. That's about as good as it's going to get.
As Phil points out there are differences in the 020 over the years.
Early cases had different axle flanges that mated to a smaller seal
and the case had smaller holes to coorespond to these seals. So, for
instance, you can't put a 100mm flange into one of these early cases
(e.g. FF, FN, FO....)
Also, the "16V" boxes (2Y, AGB, AMC, CHE and DFQ) have a bigger input
shaft, 22mm vs, 24mm. The change to the pinion shaft is minimal. The
splines for 4th gear are larger and that's hardly the weak point of
the pinion shaft!
Other than the limitation imposed by the larger splines in the "16V"
boxes for 4th gear, ALL of the ratios are interchangeable from box to
box.
I'll dispute the notion that non-16V boxes are marginal over 140+
torque. My nephew is currently producing 210 ft-lb at the wheels. He's
been over 200 for over two years now. Course, lots of people "slap" a
used box in and it busts cause it was worn out when they put it in.
So, they "rip" that out and "slap" another used up box in and it busts
and they tell the world an 020 can't take any torque.
As far as usage issues, Cathy's pretty much got it nailed. I generally
don't mind the high RPM on the highway. Some people hate it. I can't
stand big jumps between 4th and 5th, it doesn't bother other people at
all.
My <.02
Dan