4k tranny?

--- Blake Irvin <blake@clockworm.com> wrote:
> someone on the list has recommended a 4k tranny for
> me.
>
> what are the pros/cons, etc?  i want good, even
> shift feel, and
> decent gas mileage.

I didn't think about this previously, but from what I
have heard the 4K or 2H (which were 8v boxes) have
some problems when dealing with heavier torque (140+)
due to the smaller input shaft and smaller pinion
shaft, in addition to the 90mm drive flanges (those
must be swapped out for 16v).

So Blake, as I understand you're sporting a 16v,
correct?  Depending on how beefy you want to go, then
you can make your decision.  Me, I have a 2H slated
for my 8v, which is pushing some good torque out with
its 2L/JH setup.  I am personally not too concerned.
But I will say this - I have bought a 0.71 fifth gear
and definitely plan to use it!  Consider buying a tall
fifth gear yourself if you do much touring (highways).

Btw, the guy in the thread, I think, will contact you
about the tranny.  He is just responding to me because
I mentioned interest  first (in lieu of you). I've
told him you're interested.  Just IM him, I guess.

-Phil