4k tranny?

thanks Dan, you're confirming my instincts about this.  the only
bummer about my jetta tranny is that it can't take the clutch i
bought for it (16v sachs) and that i think the leak is from the 'self-
machining problem' that the 80's vw's had.

does anyone know if i would need to do the circlip fix to the 4k if i
bought it, to prevent the self-machining issue?

blake/