Shift light shenanigans

Anyone know what might cause both my oil light to blink and the shift light
to flash randomly? I had an uneventful drive to the store just now, but when
it came time for the return trip my instrument cluster put on a light show.
The oil light/buzzer has come on previously when I experimentally used a
lower weight oil (not anymore) and once or twice for a moment while turning.
I'm somewhat disturbed by the shift light, as this was the first time I've
seen it lit up in the year I've owned the car.