TT Short Shift Kits, Painting

comments within,

From: "Jason Miller" <sciroccodriver@hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 12:00 PM

> Hey All,
>
> Bunch of questions, as usual. :D
>
> 1) Anyone know if the TT "Deluxe short shift kit for 1985-1992 A2s" would
> fit my 16V?

No, it will not fit.

> http://www.techtonicstuning.com/viewpart.asp?partnum=798.220
>
> 2) Has anyone on here painted their Scirocco themselves? What paint system
> did you use, and were you able to use it on the body kit / bumpers as well
> as the panels?

Yep! Dupont single stage system i.e. not base coat/clear coat.
No body kit, but painting the bumpers is pretty much down to an additive in
the paint to make it stick to plastic and a little more flexible.

> I want my paint job to last longer than it will take to get my book of
> mods completed. :)

The bad news is no matter how you cut it a new paint job will never be as
chip resistant as OEM since they're able to bake the paint on. Paint it and
groan with every new chip!

> 3) What can I use to re-attach the body kit to the car? I think I heard
> someone mention 3M Weather Tape?

Yeah, 3M makes a double sided tape, but it might be better to paint it with
the body kit in place. Kevin Collins had his awesome paint job done with
body kit in place.

> 4) Can I pull the black rubber inserts on the roof of the car? I can't
> seem to get these out.

The ends are clipped in place, they have a slot that slides over little
metal toad stools. The center of the strip is sort of glued in place. To get
the ends off the clips you need to pull them towards the center of the car,
so you'll have to find some relatively loose part of the strip and pull that
up and work your way to the ends. Try not to pull on the strip too much,
it'll stretch it and it won't fit right.