Terminology Q:

I'm not too sure the terminology matters a whole lot.
What does matter is that if you're going to get your car painted that you're
clear on what the bodyshop is going to do.

I've painted too many cars where the surface of the paint was just scuffed
up enough to get another layer to stick, and some where another layer was
put down without apparently any prep at all!!! I remember one VW bug engine
lid with 10 different colors of paint! Literally!
Basically, the combined layers of paint can only be so thick before you're
going to have cracking problems. You can't just keep applying another top
coat.
My approach is that if the paint is OEM, then I sand it down to the original
primer and, of course, down to bare metal in any areas where there was a
chip and surface rust.
If the car, or particular panel, has been repainted i.e.no factory primer,
then it's down to bare metal. The theory is that I don't know if the
previous surface prep was done correctly and the assumption is it will not
adhere to the surface as well as it should (just because I've seen so many
crap paint jobs!)
So, I guess what I'm saying is it's all about surface prep and the total
thickness of the paint. Paint will stick to paint if it's sanded a little
bit. But getting it to stick to metal takes a little more effort than just
sanding. It needs to be etched with acid and it needs to be free of any
rust, dirt, grease.
Dan