Terminology Q:

Brian Haygood wrote:

 > I don't like definition B because I don't think you are going to get
 > much of a result without at least some sanding.  So I'll go with A.
 > Of course I would call what I'm doing on my Passat a respray, and I'm
 > sanding through clear and color and down to primer.  I'll prime and
 > work up to clear, and I've removed every relevant piece of trim.  I
 > guess its synonymous with repainting the car in my book just because
 > that's the way I think it should be done. ...but I'm picky.
 >
 > BH

Yes, indeed I would agree that is the right way for optimum results to
get a car repainted.  Wasn't sure if going through all the rights steps
to completely repaint was the same as a "respray", which to me implies
doing as little as possible to get a car coated with new paint.

Basically, I was confused as to whether a respray is when a car is
repainted with:

no sanding whatsoever, just color (and clear if applicable) (is this
ever really performed?);

just enough sanding to get through any clearcoat, plus color (and clear
if applicable);

sanding through to original primer, plus color (and clear if applicable);

no sanding whatsoever, plus primer and color (and clear if applicable);

just enough sanding to get through any clearcoat, plus primer and color
(and clear if applicable);

or

sanding through to original primer, plus fresh primer, plus color (and
clear if applicable).

I supposed I should have asked for a proper definition for more concise
results instead of making everyone choose from my multiple choices ;)
But honestly I figured there would be sanding involved.

Thanks for everyone's input.