OT - Need XP help

Hi, everyone - I've been jousting w/ my computer for the last week plus when
both of my hard-drives decided to exhibit failure symptoms within  24 hours of
each other.

I was VERY lucky to manage to save my data, but once I re-installed my XP Pro
Corporate, I was exposed to Viruses and spyware briefly. I tried to install Ad-
Aware and when it tried to boot, I got this warning:  "Cannot find disk
\Device\Harddisk1\DR4" w/ Ad-aware in the title bar. The new HD was defaulted
to be "F:\" during the Windows install booted from CD-ROM and the Ad-aware
install went there seemingly.

Anyone seen this before?

I've only installed the Sound Card and Video Driver up to now - should I scrap
it and start again? Can I try a different spy-ware? The drive designation
shouldn't be an issue, right?

Also - can anyone refresh me on how to disable the Messenger Service?

Thanks in advance!  Jeff