Rear wing functionality

After browsing several hundred Rocco pics, my son stumbled across a couple
with no rear wing. He likes the look and asked if we could do that with his.

I am wondering if anyone knows the actual functionality of the wing or if
it's mostly just looks. I would hate to remove it and have him spin out on a
wet road because we reduced the downward pressure it created.

Jon