My Mk1 importing days may be on hold... :(

Chris wrote:

> In the US when the going gets tough and folks are unreasonable, a letter
> to the local congressman/woman can help.  Since department budgets are
> based on appropriations from Congress, most departments require
> employees to respond promptly to a congressperson.  It's a case of
> knowing which side your bread is buttered on.  Too many complaints and a
> pissed off legislator can lead to budget cuts (and job cuts).  Just
> knowing a legislator is looking over a shoulder can be a great motivator.
>
> Chris
>
> PS  It's all about money.  When folks in the US go to Canada to race and
> have a tractor trailer full of cars and parts, they get the third degree
> and have to produce an inventory of what they are taking in and make
> sure that everything on the inventory crosses back over the border.
> They are so worried that somebody might sell a manifold or something in
> Canada.

In this case it's about documentation.  Whining to a Congressperson
won't help me a bit.  A friend of a friend who works at the Canadian
customs said they are looking for the following from me:

- Evidence of employment
- Evidence of Foreign residence
- Evidence of financial ability

So, I'll bring rent receipts from my apartment and my shop. I'll also
bring copies of receipts for jobs I've done recently, as well as a few
renovation estimates that I wrote up last week.  Producing receipts of
cars I've sold will also help them understand that part of my income
comes from buying and selling cars (especially cars I import from the
U.S.)  I'll also take pictures of my shop (with Mk1's in various states
of disassembly).  She mentioned that I should also bring with me the
importation paperwork for all the cars I've brought back this year.  One
thing the U.S. customs official did tell me to do was get a letter faxed
from Rhett that explains that we both didn't know I was attempting to do
anything illegal by helping him out, and that he's made other
arrangements to tow the car.

I'll try again next weekend, with paperwork in hand, so hopefully
everything will be ok.  I have the feeling it's going to be difficult
though...

Later,

Mark.
75 x2