My Mk1 importing days may be on hold... :(

<snip Mark>
In this case it's about documentation.  Whining to a Congressperson
won't help me a bit.  A friend of a friend who works at the Canadian
customs said they are looking for the following from me:

- Evidence of employment
- Evidence of Foreign residence
- Evidence of financial ability

So, I'll bring rent receipts from my apartment and my shop. I'll also
bring copies of receipts for jobs I've done recently, as well as a few
renovation estimates that I wrote up last week.  Producing receipts of
cars I've sold will also help them understand that part of my income
comes from buying and selling cars (especially cars I import from the
U.S.)
<end snip>

As long as we're throwing in our .02, two thoughts come to mind:

1.  Don't volunteer too much information.  It's great to have all that in
your back pocket, but it's better to be concise and correct then to give
them more to ask about.  The answer to the question "Do you know what time
it is?" is "Yes".  Now that being said...

2.  Realize that that border patrol person is the one person standing
between you and what you want.  Be courteous and nice, even if/when they're
giving you a hard time.  But again, don't forget suggestion number 1.

Good luck with your next crossing.

-Brad
'86 Scirocco 16v