Coolant system question

> Chiming in w/ a mee-too; the 'weep hole' on the bottom of the water pump
> housing allows for the shaft seal to leak (a bit) without it showing much.

Well, at this point, it's showing all the way to the tailpipe, but there's
so much crap in the way by the pump, the exact source is tough to spot.

> Once the car is up to temp and the pressure is high and the coolant is
> hot and the rpms are singing

Nope, wrong car. That would be my OTHER JH, not this one, it's a chunky
monkey, no singing here. Slow....

the thing can leak a bunch more but since
> you are driving at this point you don't really notice the leak.

Yeah, that sounds exactly right. Though I hadn't driven it in a few months
anyway. It's always on the road it seems.

> Here's a thought: Flush ALL the old coolant out and refill with Prestone
> Orange Phosphate Free Coolant. It'll leak out of any small space it can
> find and you can see where your leaks are.
>
> It leave behind these really cool crusty orange secreactions. ;/

Sounds cool, it'll contrast with the blue stains under there now...I'm
saying screw it on this one, expect a report about the stupid dealer to
follow post haste.

Cathy
1987 2L 16V Scirocco - the Silver Headache
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V - Klaus- sounds like 0.33 of a Chevelle
"The light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train"