What I learned today

>> What I learned, even though I arrived late:
>
> Nothing new there... :)

Fashionably so too, I might add. Right in time for food.

>> 1. A front end loader makes a handy hoist. And I need air tools.
.  And yes, you do need air tools.  I might
> come to visit more often if you had them.

As if mkI parts weren't enough bribery.

>> 2. Brake lines and wires can hold a lot of weight.
>
> Just those damned US Rabbit wires.  I think it's all that vinyl tape.

More likely pure spite in this case. You hate it, it hates you right back.

>> 3. It is much more relaxing when your car is not involved at all. As if
>> anyone would voluntarily work on my curvacious MkIV Scirocco anyways.
>
> Curvacious.  Now there's a word.  The rest of us call it "fat."

I'm expecting a virtual flinch, can you see what my foot is lined up
towards? (them's ass-kicking words, and you know I'll do it)

>> 4. Even with the engine and front suspension out, you cannot use the
>> shift
>> rod to prop up the front of the car.

> I notice you didn't mention WHY the car was lowered onto the shift rod.
> Shorty.

The taller they are, the harder they fall, see above. I can't help it that
I'm too short to reach the midline of a car that's 4' in the air.

>> 6. Even listers driving Mopar products with enough displacement to
>> satisfy
>> three Scirocco's needs can be really nice guys. As if there was ever any
>> question about Scirocco owners. (good to meet you guys!)
>
> Amen to that.  Although I understand that Passats aren't the only ones
> that need major surgery to have their heater cores replaced.

That sucks doesn't it. Our Mopar only needed a tranny/sway
bar/bearings/brakes/ multiple sensors in the three years we had it, and
the head gasket lasted the whole time! (though coolant was mysteriously
vanishing when we traded it)

>> 7. The proper tools for removing the dash from a crappy US built VW are
>> Phillips head driver and a boot, properly applied.
>
> Well, technically it's two boots.  I think I used the right boot on
> the left side, and the left boot on the right side.  Or something like
> that.  A sledge hammer likely could have negated the requirement for
> the philips screwdriver.  Or maybe a beefier kick - but my knee was
> still smarting from running into the loader earlier.

I suspect with some creative thinking, the loader could have taken care of
that dash too.

>> As usual, it was good to hang out with other VW types, and rip into some
>> poor vehicular victim. I needed it badly. Back to cursing at my own cars
>> tomorrow no doubt.
>
> It's always a pleasure wrenching with Cathy - even more so when no-one
> gives a damn about the car.

And as I said, always a pleasure to hang with listers, even if some keep
making fun of my semicircular DD.

Cathy
1999 TDI New Beetle
1987 2L 16V Scirocco
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V
"Deja moo- the feeling you've heard this bull before"