What I learned today

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:09:17 -0500 (EST), C Boyko
<roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> What I learned, even though I arrived late:

Nothing new there... :)

> 1. A front end loader makes a handy hoist. And I need air tools.

A front-end loader doesn't make just a handy hoist.  It also doubles
for  a mobile crusher, a tow-truck, a lift-truck, and an extraction
tool for stubborn fasteners.  And yes, you do need air tools.  I might
come to visit more often if you had them.

> 2. Brake lines and wires can hold a lot of weight.

Just those damned US Rabbit wires.  I think it's all that vinyl tape.

> 3. It is much more relaxing when your car is not involved at all. As if
> anyone would voluntarily work on my curvacious MkIV Scirocco anyways.

Curvacious.  Now there's a word.  The rest of us call it "fat."

> 4. Even with the engine and front suspension out, you cannot use the shift
> rod to prop up the front of the car. Conversely, if a "special" short
> shift kit comes up on EBay, and there's a nice curve in parts that should
> be straight, just say no.

I notice you didn't mention WHY the car was lowered onto the shift rod.  Shorty.

> 5. Seats that stick in the seat rails can be easily removed by rotating
> the entire assembly "lefty loosey" until a firm snapping sound is heard.
> But this is not a good plan if you plan to keep either the car or the
> seat.

That's what I was always taught - lefty loosey, righty tighty.  Unless
you're on the wrong side of a chrysler.

> 6. Even listers driving Mopar products with enough displacement to satisfy
> three Scirocco's needs can be really nice guys. As if there was ever any
> question about Scirocco owners. (good to meet you guys!)

Amen to that.  Although I understand that Passats aren't the only ones
that need major surgery to have their heater cores replaced.

> 7. The proper tools for removing the dash from a crappy US built VW are a
> Phillips head driver and a boot, properly applied.

Well, technically it's two boots.  I think I used the right boot on
the left side, and the left boot on the right side.  Or something like
that.  A sledge hammer likely could have negated the requirement for
the philips screwdriver.  Or maybe a beefier kick - but my knee was
still smarting from running into the loader earlier.

> As usual, it was good to hang out with other VW types, and rip into some
> poor vehicular victim. I needed it badly. Back to cursing at my own cars
> tomorrow no doubt.

It's always a pleasure wrenching with Cathy - even more so when no-one
gives a damn about the car.

Drew