Starter options?

Get yourself a nice later model *permanent magnet* diesel starter, it doesn't even have to be the
biggest one, it'll be more than good enough.  These are longer and smaller in diameter than the
old wound starters, and they have tons of grunt.  Just don't drop it, you can crack a magnet and
then it's trash.

I got one and love it.

G/L

Ron

--- Jim Jarrett <jarrett@rpa.net> wrote:

> As I am finally getting around to putting the 16V Convertible down for its
> long winter's nap (in our new *EIGHT* car garage), I'm planning my work on
> it over the winter.
>
> The starter is shot.  I had to use ether to get it to kick over one last
> time to drive to the gas station.
>
> I have heard of using diesel starters on 16V's for some good starting umph.
> What exactly is the kind to get, from what car?
>
> Thanks.
>
> /===============================================================\
> | Jim Jarrett,Madison, WI        '94 Passat GLX                 |
> | mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |
> |    Any problem can be solved with the proper application of   |
> |   Force, Heat, Chemicals, or Money.                           |

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor Jr." - '81 Scirocco S 7SM
2.0L 16V w/ Megasquirt, Quaifed GL 4-speed
It's Alive!!!