Starter options?

As I am finally getting around to putting the 16V Convertible down for its
long winter's nap (in our new *EIGHT* car garage), I'm planning my work on
it over the winter.

The starter is shot.  I had to use ether to get it to kick over one last
time to drive to the gas station.

I have heard of using diesel starters on 16V's for some good starting umph.
What exactly is the kind to get, from what car?

Thanks.

| Jim Jarrett,Madison, WI        '94 Passat GLX                 |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |