Restore or remove?

I didn't include "replace" because I'm pretty sure the part is now
made of universal unobtainium, but it's the dense foam seal than
occupies the rear portion of the underside of the Mk1 hood.  It serves
as a seal against the rubber gasket on the front wall of the rain
tray.

Mine is looking pretty sad but is still functional.  It is, however,
about the sorriest looking thing left in my engine compartment and I'd
like to fix that.

In looking at the pics on scirocco.org, most appear to have simply
discarded it.  Easy enough, but what about maintaining a seal between
the fresh air intake and the engine compartment?  Also, isn't noise
(don't need any more of that) an issue?

I'm thinking about applying something to it.. perhaps some of the
liquid DIY pickup truck bedliner liquid.  Should maintain some
flexibility (not much left in it anyway) and be durable enough to take
the heat.  Any thoughts on this?

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9