More Feedback Needed on New Stuff (funksoulkitty turnsignals)

Thanks for the feedback.....replies within:

>Kirsten, personally I think that some nice rustproof screws (stainless or
>the like) would be a terrific solution to any mating issues between the
>front lens and the rear cup.  I suppose that 3M stuff you have is probably
>the best adhesive bonder you'll find (3M urethane-based Windo-Weld might
>be another possibility?) but screws in addition to a urethane-based
>adhesive sounds like an excellent structural/weathertight solution. This
>may not be for the hardcore purists, but I'd be happy with screws if my
>MKII had lenses as indestructible as your MKI's are!

Yeah, these screws will take care of all the bonding issues save the
bondline...which I don't think will ever be fully resolved.

It also creates a seal which is a first for these puppies....

>Something to consider when choosing an adhesive/sealer:
>
>On Wed, 12 May 2004, C Boyko wrote:
>
>>>Okay, those with leaky Roccos (and I know I'm not the only one)...I got
>>>this stuff that is for automotive windows, it's a urethane sealant that
>>>is supposed to stay pliable, and mentions its excellent adhesion to
>>>metal and glass, so presumably it is for the non-gasket style windows
>>>like my NB. Anyone used this stuff? I stayed away from silicone since it
>>>stiffens up and wouldn't adhere well to the (likley not that clean)
>>>surfaces under there.
>
>>>This is the shiznit Good stuff - forget the silicone.
>>
>>>Drew
>
>>Brian Haygood wrote:
>>
>>>The 3m stuff is Window Weld.  urethane with carbon black in it.  It
>>>looks and feels just like a soft tire when it dries.  I talked to a
>>>window guy a few days ago who said >silicone stuff isn't used at all
>>>anymore and urethane is the thing to use.  I asked him about Window Weld
>>>and he said that was just a primer - which made no sense to >me.  He's
>>>been outa the business for a few years, so maybe he had it confused with
>>>somethign else.   Anyway, use something urethane.
>
>Anyway, thought those comments might be helpful if old-skool silicone
>isn't a great long-tern sealant.

Thanks for putting those in here.  I recall seeing some posts in general
about leaks and stuff, but haven't had a chance to read them and I believe
they wandered into my trash folder when I wasn't looking....(sometimes my
emails turn on me...nefarious little buggers they are!)

>I'm wondering how you separated your original turnsig front lenses from
>their backs before your molding process started... a small moto-tool
>(Dremel) was the first thing that came to my mind, but then I thought a
>hot-knife would slide right through the plastic at the joint, and they
>would probably come apart super clean and minimal material would be
>removed, permitting new molded components to fit more closely...  If
>uneven mating surfaces are still your bane, then maybe that is something
>to consider.

Saw-like utensil equivalent.  And the hot knife idea might have worked...I
don't know either way, but it is a moot point now as I don't have a spare
$2,000 sitting around to have new molds made.  But good idea...where were
you when this all was happening??  : )  Just kidding, none of you
guys....or anyone for that matter...was there when I started this endeavor
or even for the first six months or so (IIRC) since I wanted to surprise
the Scirocco community with this commodity (and we see how well THAT worked
out!).

Kirsten