TBerk attends ND 2004

Well, they are turning down the thermostat in the levels below because
after missing Turbo Tim of New Dimensions fame for a number of years I
broke out the rusty people skills (which are atrophying more and more)
and attended the ND Charity Car Show this Sunday last.

I'll have a link to some pix in a little bit but 1st I wanted to
acknowledge a few folks; many of whom came a long way to be here:

- 1st, a big wet one goes out to Kevin Collins, late of the big
Southland, but this year he drove in, and showed his car, all the way
from ARIZONA. And it looked damn fine too Kev, glowing all red and
everything- the car that is.   tek wax?

- Also on the "I drove a hell of a long way" wavelength are the Great
North Westerners, whose unofficial Leader & Mascot is the quiet,
demure Captain 16Volt-age himself; Shawn Meze! Uh, no I mean Shannon!
And a cast of thousands! (We like to let him think he's in charge. You
know.)

- We had some middle distance folks who I met (and remember) but who
came from where, and what you drove, is now a blur. Roll Call!

- There was also a local contingent including some award winning (even
if they can't all get trophies) Scirocco representation going on.
Chris Gonzolas won _something_ in the Raffle but I didn't get back in
time to hear what it was. What'cha get Chris?

- Big props out to Big Poppa David Guido for hosting a BBQ the day
before, (David, the boneless beef ribs in the fridge are from Costco
and aren't marinated or anything. Enjoy, they cook up like roast beef
real good.) I even got some free stuff he had laying around but nobody
seem to think they needed my ground straps. I'd better start charging
to drive up the demand.

I kind of want to say I had a better time the day before the show
hanging out with some crazy nutcases who share my same ailment. That
and we had a little cruise after the BBQ, but due to road weariness
the caravan accounted for only four cars, and Mark H drove an A4 GTI
at that. (No points off Mark, that things hauls pretty good.)

Jason in the Red Mark One; with it's 2 liter and square headlights
(wtf?) was vying for my people's choice vote along with the gorgeous
Mk2 at the show I came to understand came over from Hawai'i. It's a
Zender fendered full bodied red ray of goodness.

There was a gold Mark One that looked like it had been kept in a time
capsule, down to the floor mats and perfectly fine vinyl seats. And
dash. And mudflaps.

It would help to hear back from folks on the list who can help me put
names to faces I'll be posting, and to add a 'me too' to there
attendance and there buddies who I failed to specifically mention.

If you don't see your name here, it's because I'm bad with them, esp
if I'm not using it on a semi daily basis. Chime in with your
contribution.

In closing I want to mention-

Two things are important:

1) My car wasn't there, and we need more me's to attend and show

AND

2) a lot of far flung folks make a journey to attend this show and
local peoples need to reciprocate.

Now, I anticipate the initial reaction "My car isn't a Show Car...".
All that means is you can show without asking to be judged for a trophy.

Also, there are other get-to-gethers going on, and coming up:
Waterwagens up north & Dubwars in the middle of California and so on.

It's not too much to gas up the ride and caravan out to see some
decent folks who couldn't care if you pick your nose or don't know how
to make a decent souffle. Just come out.

I had some low key fun, I saw some woody generating material, and I
supported both my Sciroccoholics and Second Harvest food bank.

Not a bad day.

TBerk

"Back to Civilization?, after allll theeese yeuuuhrs?"
Pappy Popeye