More Feedback Needed on New Stuff (funksoulkitty turnsignals)

Kirsten Jensen wrote:

> SHOP'S BONDING SOLUTION:
> <http://www.funksoulkitty.org/turnsignals/ss/screws.html>http://www.funksoulkitty.org/t....html
>

> I need some feedback on the bonding solution ASAP.....as in...by
> tomorrow in before afternoonish.
>
> Kirsten

Kirsten, personally I think that some nice rustproof screws (stainless
or the like) would be a terrific solution to any mating issues between
the front lens and the rear cup.  I suppose that 3M stuff you have is
probably the best adhesive bonder you'll find (3M urethane-based
Windo-Weld might be another possibility?) but screws in addition to a
urethane-based adhesive sounds like an excellent structural/weathertight
solution. This may not be for the hardcore purists, but I'd be happy
with screws if my MKII had lenses as indestructible as your MKI's are!

Something to consider when choosing an adhesive/sealer:

On Wed, 12 May 2004, C Boyko wrote:

>>Okay, those with leaky Roccos (and I know I'm not the only one)...I got this
>> stuff that is for automotive windows, it's a urethane sealant that is
>> supposed to stay pliable, and mentions its excellent adhesion to metal and
>> glass, so presumably it is for the non-gasket style windows like my NB.
>> Anyone used this stuff? I stayed away from silicone since it stiffens up and
>> wouldn't adhere well to the (likley not that clean) surfaces under there.
>

>>This is the shiznit
>>Good stuff - forget the silicone.
>
>>Drew
>

> Brian Haygood wrote:
>
>>The 3m stuff is Window Weld.  urethane with carbon black in it.  It looks and feels just like a soft tire when it dries.  I talked to a window guy a few days ago who said >silicone stuff isn't used at all anymore and urethane is the thing to use.  I asked him about Window Weld and he said that was just a primer - which made no sense to >me.  He's been outa the business for a few years, so maybe he had it confused with somethign else.   Anyway, use something urethane.

Anyway, thought those comments might be helpful if old-skool silicone
isn't a great long-tern sealant.

I'm wondering how you separated your original turnsig front lenses from
their backs before your molding process started... a small moto-tool
(Dremel) was the first thing that came to my mind, but then I thought a
hot-knife would slide right through the plastic at the joint, and they
would probably come apart super clean and minimal material would be
removed, permitting new molded components to fit more closely...  If
uneven mating surfaces are still your bane, then maybe that is something
to consider.

HTH!

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
   '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L