VLE Option-6 Dream tranny

--- "Camron D. Crouse" <camron@worldaccessnet.com> wrote:
> 1. ...Invest in a sport clutch?

For what real gain?

> 2. ...Invest in a lightened flywheel?

Aye.

> 3. ...Invest in an LSD (Peloquin VS. Quaife??)?

Either.

> 4. ...Replace my (perfectly good but possibly SMS susceptible) '89 coded
> 2Y with a (torquier) rebuilt 4K with VW 020 bolt kit?

Aye, and a 0.80 5th gear at the same time.

> 5. ...Convert said 4K to VLE Option-6 six speed for highway economy?
> <http://www.spiretech.com/~vw6spd/kit.html>

Not in a hundred years.  What if it breaks?

> If I'm gonna go there, I might as well go all the way...

No, IMO you go as far as you need to to get what you want.  I've never, ever felt the need for a 6
speed.  (Hell, I have a 4-speed in the car now - suits my needs - granted, not the same needs as
yours).  Seems to me that guys who've done 6-speeds get their benefit from simply saying that
they've done them.  Bragging rights, as it were.  Again, IMO, a ridiculous bang-for-buck.  As in
virtually none.  With what I recommend above, you're going to have a load of $$ into it as it is -
but it *will* be one sweet tranny!

HTH

=====
Cheapass Ron
'81 Scirocco S - "Victor Jr."  7SM
(2.0L 16V, GL 4-speed w/ Quaife installed, Megasquirt coming...)