5th gear swap was: Best way to "flush out" a dirty tranny?HELP!

Mark wrote:

> LOL!  I have till next Wednesday to do the swap.  I'm still unsure if I
> should just swap out the fifth gear, or the whole tranny...  I don't
> think I can take hours and hours of highway driving with the 4K - not to
> mention the sucky fuel mileage it gets buzzing along at 4200 rpm...
>
> The reason I was thinking of swapping the whole tranny is that I'm
> afraid the drop to the .71 5th would be quite a jump for the tow vehicle
> if I just swapped it into the 4K.

OK, How will the final drive enter into this?

FF     3.89	 3.45	 1.94	 1.29	 0.97	 0.76
4K     3.94	 3.45	 2.12	 1.44	 1.13	 0.89

 > In terms of work involved, I can drop a tranny
 > in no time, so I'm thinking that the 5th gear
 > swap would actually take me longer.
> Decisions, decisions...
> Mark.

But isn't a 5th gear swap a lot easier? You will need an end cap and
might want a gasket for the gear cover.

I too recommend if you _do_ swap the whole unit after a clean out you
stick the 4k and some tools in the hatch so you have a way to get home.

TBerk