5th gear swap was: Best way to "flush out" a dirtytranny?HELP!

On Thu, 20 May 2004, T Berk wrote:

> > The reason I was thinking of swapping the whole tranny is that I'm
> > afraid the drop to the .71 5th would be quite a jump for the tow vehicle
> > if I just swapped it into the 4K.

Mark is on the money with this one.  I did a 5th gear conversion in my 92
Golf - the ratios on this gearbox were almost dead on the 4K - and the
resulting jump between 4th and 5th was a propoer bitch for a 52 hp diesel.
The same would be true for a 2L hauling another car.

Drew

--

84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD     http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd
89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant