[tech] Scirocco cluster in a Cabriolet

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Patrick Bureau wrote:

> I have an 89 cabriolet which has a dead cluster (no
> odometer functions, clock dead) , and I was wondering
> since a few of us have cabriolets at home, if any one
> knew if a scirocco cluster plugs right in, I am asking
> as I have 3 of those on hand, and have had the hardest
> time to find a cabbriolet(rabbit) cluster.

The cabrio cluster is the same as the A1 Jetta cluster.  A Mk2 Scirocco
cluster (which has the same footprint as an A2 cluster) will not fit
without modifications to the steering column supports and dash brackets.
The wiring would be the least of your worries.

I did the A2 cluster-> A1 dash swap in my 83 Jetta - it took less time
than the A2 dash -> A1 Jetta swap that I did in my first 84 GLI, but it
was still not a trivial job.

Drew

> Also the other possibility would be a MKI scirocco
> cluster into this cabby..

Look for an A1 Jetta cluster.

Drew

--