Rear Oil Seal Questions- 1.7 8v

Funny you should mention that... mine pooped oil all over my clutch after a
few thousand miles of service. When I dropped the new motor in last year I
replaced the rear main seal with a nice fresh one I got from Mike or Mark (
www.parts4vws.com or www.germanautoparts.com ). A few weeks ago it gave up
and killed my clutch disc.

Enough history! I called the dealer to order my new bottles and decided to
order a seal at the same time. The price he quoted me was around $80.00!
Hmmmm kinda high but I said go ahead and order it and I'll see if it's what
I need when I get there. Sure enough it's the same seal pressed into the
aluminum flange that goes on the side of the motor. According to the parts
guy VW has not sold that seal on it's own for a while and the only way to
get the seal alone is to go aftermarket. The head service guy sez that they
had problems with the seals not sealing if they are not installed 100%
correctly. Now I don't now about that cuz I've done this before and not had
any problems. Anyway that gasket for the flange to the block is U shaped...
the bottom of the flange is sealed by the oil pan gasket. It's under $3.00
from the dealer so if your worried it's a cheap part to have on hand.

Mine gets fixed on Saturday if all goes well...

-Raffi