Rear Oil Seal Questions- 1.7 8v

Quoting Euroroc II <flaatr@yahoo.com>:

 According to the parts
> guy VW has not sold that seal on it's own for a while and the only way to
> get the seal alone is to go aftermarket. The head service guy sez that they
> had problems with the seals not sealing if they are not installed 100%
> correctly. Now I don't now about that cuz I've done this before and not had
> any problems. Anyway that gasket for the flange to the block is U shaped...
> the bottom of the flange is sealed by the oil pan gasket. It's under $3.00
> from the dealer so if your worried it's a cheap part to have on hand.
>
> Mine gets fixed on Saturday if all goes well...
>
> -Raffi

Yeah, all the above details are on the money.  I have not had many problems
either, but then again, as Dan Bubb pointed out some time ago, VW tends to
design stuff so that the lowest common denominator (IE, dealership mechanic)
can install it without problems.  I have not had any 'cuz I have had a well-
seasoned mechanic look over my work before I button it up...  If it were me, I
would not pay that much for a seal.  -However-, if I did not have a mechanic
helping me, I might...

Good Luck,
  David

David Utley