Rear Oil Seal Questions- 1.7 8v

Quoting scirocco@comcast.net:

> Time to get down and dirty and change my rear oil seal AGAIN!
>
> It started leaking almost as soon as I replaced it the first time. Now I need
> some ideas on how I can insure that it doesn't happen again. Has anyone used
> some gasket sealer around the outer edge of the oil seal itself? Do I need to
> do anything to the oil seal carrier? Or perhaps the other oil seal ring found
> on the outer plate separating the engine from transaxle?
>
> Thanks in advance!

There are a few possibilities why it could leak...  The first possibility is
you could have material built up on the shoulder of where the lipped seal is
supposed to seal..  If that is the case, then that material will often
sandpaper the lip to the point that it cannot seal properly.  To fix this, I
recommend some fine emery(sp?) paper, like 400-600 grit.  Sand this lip in a
circular motion (IE, take the paper, and wrap it around the crank, and sand it
that way...  Kind of like wrapping a towel around you, and doing a shimmy :-
)).

The next possibility is that there was a groove worn in the crank where the
seal (with the help of lots of debris) has eaten into the crank.  Depending on
how deep it is, you might be able to sand it flat again.  If this is not the
case, you need to see your FLAPS, and ask them for a rear main seal kit with a
repair sleeve.  I am fairly sure they are available, but I have never bought
one for a 'dub.

The third possibility is that it was not properly installed.  I can not
adequately explain to you how to do it right, I am fairly sure there is a
typeable procedure, but I don't have one...  :-(  Perhaps someone will chime
in with the best method?

HTH

David Utley
Cable Volkswagen