Small victories, observations and Mk1 rear disk upgrade q's

> Nate Mellom wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > Next big project is rear brakes.  The stock drums are shot, and I
> have
> > replacements off of an '84 GTI (already did the vented front
> upgrade),
> > but I'd love to step up to disks.  What's the best junker to get
> them
> > off of?  There is an '87 16v in a local yard, rear brakes are
> complete,
> > but is there anything newer I can source them from?  Just based on
> wear
> > and tear and rustiness factor, newer parts are bester than older
> parts.
> > What all do I need?  Stub axles on out?  What about prop valves?
> Master
> > cylinder?  Any tech tips on installation, etc?
> >
> > Nate
=======================
You've got an '81? 1981 Sciroccos have rear disk proportioning valves
(located on the booseter under the MC). 1975-1980 Sciroccos have no prop
valves.

If you stick with 9.1" fronts, the factory prop valves may be sufficient
(I've not tested this theory).

On the '78. I added A3 rear disks to my rear suspension - right side up.
I routed the 16V brake cables to the bottom.

The '78 had no prop valves, so I added prop valves from a 1985& up 8V. It
still has the factory booster/MC.

The 1985-1987 GTI came with 9.1" front disks and rear disks -  using a
20mm MC - it works for me on the 1978.

I did a wrte up on the Vortex a few years back, but I can't find it at
the moment . . .

HTH

Mash
A bunch of Sciroccos